Sunday, April 26, 2009

Aquatic megapost.

A week ago I finally got rid of my Rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) and Ancistrus sp. "lemon" (Common bristlenose, yellow variant). I had had enough with my ugly tank without any plants. Those damn rainbows ate them all in less than a year! Be warned. (I didn't flush them down the toilet if that's what you're worried about; I took them to my nearest aquarium store.)

So I needed something else to replace those terrorists. I had only some red phantom tetras, three black phantom tetras (though similarly named, they actually belong to different genera), and serpae tetra. They fulfill the function of swimming around the middle and top parts of the tank.

I needed some algae eater(s), bottom dwellers to eat food that has sunk to the bottom, and some cichlids that have real character. This is what I got:

Algae-eaters: 4 x Otocinclus vittatus (Dwarf suckermouth) ...

The dwarf suckermouths are cute. I have a weakness for catfishes in general. They seem to be fairly hardworking algae-eaters, but also very good at camouflaging themselves, even in my half-empty tank!

Bottomdwellers: 5 x Corydoras sterbai (Sterba's corydoras) ...

AND 5 x Corydoras aeneus (Bronze corydoras)!

In particular, I like the Sterba's corydoras. They're so purty and cute. I like Corydoras in general, the way they swim around the tank and constantly fumble around the bottom to find something to eat. And those eyes just make me melt.

Last but not least, the cichlids: 4 x Cleithracara maronii (Keyhole cichlid) ...

Keyhole cichlids are my old favourite. They have lots of character, even though they're shy. They're not terribly colourful, but I prefer less colourful fishes in general. I got four tiny ones, so I had trouble taking decent photos of them. In fact, all my new fishes are so tiny that I'll probably show them later when they've grown a little.

AND 2 x Laetacara dorsigera (Redbreast acara)! The redbreast acaras are a new experience to me. They are small and peaceful and quite colourful. I look forward to observing their behaviour and learning more about them in the future.


...Jealous, are you?!

N.B. Fishes refers to different fish species, whereas fish in plural refers to several specimens of the same fish species. In singular it refers to a single specimen, and as a mass/uncountable noun it refers to food.

1 comment:

Amoena said...

On ne kyllä kaikki vaan aika kivoja =)