Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What is and what never should be

This has been a strange summer. Too much rain, too little sunshine. Too much paranoia, too little sanity. Too much to do, too little accomplished as of yet.

I've been strangely emotional lately. This morning I cried when watching my usual Days of Our Lives show, while sipping my morning coffee.

My excuse for watching a soap opera is that they're very funny and entertaining, and I genuinely believe that they tell you something about the culture. Take Salatut Elämät, for instance. There's a grain of truth to whatever's happening. Big issues - drugs, death, abuse, alcoholism, school bullying, gambling addiction! So it's a little exaggerated - what would you expect from a tv show?

My excuse for crying over a fictional character is that I'm not in my right mind until I've had my two cups of coffee in the morning.

On Days of our lives, they had the funeral of a young boy who got killed off in a hit-and-run. You often see children killed in soapies, because they don't have much of a role. It still sucks. He was so cute!

The driver was incidentally the boy's newly found stepsister. Being a police officer, the poor father had given her a temporary license to drive, even though she'd just been in a car accident! Gotta love the irony in that, sick as it may be.

The American Catholic funeral is different from the generic Finnish funeral, but it was still touching. The actors and actresses are really good. Many of them have been acting on Days for most of their lives! I wonder how weird that must be, playing the same character for 30 years.

Wandering off: It looks like it won't take that long after all, to relink my pictures. One third to go.

I noticed that the quality of the bigger versions is not terribly good. I blame Photobucket. Apparently I had a setting on which resizes the pictures that I uploaded, so they're not as big as the originals. To add to the misery, I don't have the originals available in Tampere, and it took forever to upload them!

Nonetheless, I added the phrase "click to enlarge" underneath all the thumbnails, so from now on everyone will know it's possible to do so. Just don't expect anything fancy.

No comments: